Kakasoft Lockdir.exe is a folder locking software. If you have forgotten your password or if you password simply doesn’t seem to work, then here is a solution for you…..or maybe two.
METHOD 1: (EASY)
- Go to your folder locked with Lockdir.
- Turn on view hidden files and folder
- In Windows 7 : Click the “Organize” button on Windows Explorer’s toolbar and select “Folder and search options” to open it. Click the “View” tab at the top of the Folder Options window. Select “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” under Hidden files and folders. Click “OK” to save the new setting.
- In Windows 8 or 10: Click the “View” tab on File Explorer’s ribbon and click the “Hidden items” checkbox in the Show/hide section.
- A file named thumbs.ms with printer icon will appear in the locked folder.
- Right click on the thumbs.ms file
- Make it a rar file by clicking on “add to thumbs.ms.rar”
- Open (Double-click) the newly created thumbs.ms.rar file and click on the folders and files to search for your files that you had locked. Keep searching. Some folders will not have a folder icon, they may have an image file icon or paint file icon. So click all files to search, even if it does not look like a folder.
- Now you will find your videos, pictures, documents (which were locked)
- To restore these files : Select the files you want to recover while inside WinRar. Then right-click and select “Extract to the specified folder”. Enter the destination path (the folder where you want the files to be copied to)
- Now your files are recovered and copied to a new folder of your choice !
METHOD 2: (COMPLEX) (If the above does not work then try this more complex method)
- Quickly visit ghisler.com and download the latest version of Total Commander (a free , small file manager software) https://www.ghisler.com/download.htm. We will use this software to access the locked files. Double-click on the Total Commander .exe file and install by following the instructions that will pop up.
- Download this file which contains two plugins (NTFiles.wfx and NTRegistry.wfx,) for Total Commander and a readme file: http://www.safer-networking.org/files/snlTCNTplugins01.zip.
- Install the 2 plugins in total commander by following the ‘readme’ file in the zip file
- In Total Commander, browse to the locked directory, enter it and take whatever you want.
Hope you have recovered your files. If you need assistance, comment below and I will try to help you out! ……Cheers !